Prenatal Classes for Surrey and Langley
“Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers – strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.”
– Barbara Katz Rothman
Many parents hope to have as natural a birth as possible, but a lot of them end up disappointed because they don’t have the knowledge and the tools to help them through it. Even though some parents do take prenatal classes, most classes just teach you the basics that you can read in a book anyway.
The Prenatal Journey provides quality childbirth education that covers all the basics – Healthy pregnancy, Stages of labour, Medical interventions, Baby care and self-care, but we also provide the important tools and understanding you need if you want to have as natural a birth as possible, that you won’t get elsewhere.
We understand the unique needs and preferences of each couple and tailor the classes to suit you, instead of giving a on-size fits all approach.
“We took prenatal classes elsewhere when we pregnant with our first child. Then we took the refresher classes with Kaurina for our second pregnancy. Wow! What a world of difference! With the first classes, we left feeling unsure and we didn’t find any of the tips helpful for the actual labour and delivery. But at the end of Kaurina’s classes, we were so relaxed and confident. I didn’t have anymore fear. We really got it. It made for a much nicer birth experience. The techniques she taught us worked great.”
– Harmony and Bill, Delta, BC
“I met Kaurina through a mutual friend. After her very informative sessions, I cancelled my booked C-section. To say the least, Kaurina was incredible. Her passion and knowledge of the birth process is amazing. She walked me through the previous birth experience of my son and made me face all my fears thus disempowering them. She showed me amazing videos of natural births and brought to light the miniscule chance of a uterine rupture during a VBAC.”
– Shelley Klassen, Vancouver, BC
Kaurina explained and gave her ideas, guidelines and techniques, which could help me to stay relaxed and calm before and in the process of childbirth. She was an incredible asset for us, as we were first time parents and also new immigrants with no family or much support. She helped me to understand what to expect and how to cope with it in every step of the way. “
– Aloma Perera, Vancouver, BC
“Kaurina’s prenatal classes were awesome. Much better than I expected. What I found most useful was learning that most of the assumptions we had about birth were wrong, and that there are many unnecessary things that are done, which we can avoid. It was an eyeopener to see that everything in labour has a purpose. I also liked learning about what to do when baby comes home, and ways to bond better with my baby. I would recommend her classes to other couples.”
– Kara Berman, Surrey, BC
Content of the courses
- Nutrition and fitness
- Emotional health
- Work and family
- Communicating with your caregiver
- Enjoying your pregnancy
- Becoming Confident about Birth
- Knowing Yourself
- Unlearning misconceptions
- What does labour birth feel like and what can you do at each stage
- Navigating the medical system
- How to prevent common problems and how to deal with them if they arise
- Effective pain coping strategies
- The partner’s role
- Life with a Newborn, Realistic expectations
- Baby Care
- Breastfeeding – Position, Latch, Demand and Supply, Solving common problems
- Self care
- The new mom-dad relationship
- Support from family, friends and resources
First-time parents can choose either :
1. Weekend Small Group Classes – Saturday and Sunday
9.30am – 4.30pm, with a one hour lunch break
To be held in Surrey or Langley
2. Private Classes – Private Classes are very popular because they are in the convenience of your own home and on your own schedule. Private Classes are great too if you don’t live in Surrey or Langley. We can travel anywhere in the Lower Mainland from Vancouver to Abbotsford for classes.
To find out more, go to Schedules and fees.
Whether you are having your second child or fifth, we guarantee you that you will benefit immensely from The Prenatal Journey’s Refresher Course. The program for experienced parents focuses on developing a deeper understanding of your previous experiences, what you would like to do again and what you would like to change this time around.
The refresher course runs from 10am- 4pm for just 1 Saturday. You can also choose the private class option.
Call 604 809 3288 to register
© copyright 2012 The Prenatal Journey